|1965 GT 350 story||Road Tests||Serial & Vin||Biff’s 65 Story||Drag Racing GT350|
|Main 1965 GT 350 page||’65 Specs||1965 Gallery||1965 Ads|
- The numbers are stamped into the aluminum manufacturer’s plate which is pop-riveted to the driver’s side inner fender panel, over the Ford VIN at the notch in the fender edge. It is visible when the hood is open.
- Stamped into the passenger’s side inner front fender panel, approximately halfway between the radiator support and the firewall. Visible when the hood is open.
- Ford serial number stamped into inner fender panel; one covered by Shelby serial number plate, other two covered by edge of the front fenders, not visible when the hood is open.
- Ford door data plates were not installed at the factory; holes were drilled and are sometimes filled with rivets but no data plates were used.
The VIN Breakdown
S – Shelby
F – Ford
M – Mustang
5 – Model Year
S – Street (R – Race)
123 – consecutive production number; begins with 001 and ends with 562
FORD Vehicle Identification Numbers
- Stamped into the driver’s side inner fender panel; at the notch in the fender; covered by the Shelby VIN
- Stamped into driver’s side inner panel; at the outside edge near the shock tower. Visible only with the fender removed.
- Stamped into the passenger’s side inner fender panel, at the outside edge near shock tower. Visible only with the fender removed.
- Stamped on the original engine block, on passenger side beneath front exhaust port.
5 – Model year 1965
R – Assembly Plant (San Jose)
09 – Body Code (2-door fastback)
K – Engine Code (289/271hp)
123456 – Consecutive Ford production (each model year, each assembly plant begins production with the number 100001 and continues for each unit built. Shelby bound Mustangs were built in large groups with consecutive numbers but the groups were interspersed with standard Mustangs, Falcons, Comets, and Fairlanes during production.)
1965 GT350 Production Totals
|Street Production Models||515|
|Total 1965 GT 350’s Built||562|
(Source of information Shelby American World Registry, The Shelby American Auto Club, PO Box 788 Sharon, CT 06069. New, latest version of the registry is out, Get your copy at SAAC.)