What you need to know about ID’ing these cars
|1966 GT 350 Main||Hertz GT350H||Serial & VIN||1966 Ads|
|1966 GT350 Story||1966 Specifications||Options & Colors||Cost New||Gallery|
The 1966 Vin Numbers
- The numbers are stamped into the aluminum manufacturer’s plate which is pop-riveted to the driver’s side inner fender panel, over the Ford VIN at the notch in the fender edge. It is visible when the hood is open.
- Stamped into the passenger’s side inner front fender panel, approximately halfway between the radiator support and the firewall. Visible when the hood is open.
- Ford serial number stamped into inner fender panel; one covered by Shelby serial number plate, other two covered by edge of the front fenders, not visible when the hood is open.
- Ford door data plates were not installed at the factory; holes were drilled and are sometimes filled with rivets but no data plates were used.
The VIN Breakdown
S – Shelby
F – Ford
M – Mustang
5 – Model Year 1966
S – Street ( No competition GT 350’s were produced in 1966)
123 – consecutive production number; begins with 001 and ends with 2380
- Stamped into the driver’s side inner fender panel; at the notch in the fender; covered by the Shelby VIN
- Stamped into driver’s side inner panel; at the outside edge near the shock tower. Visible only with the fender removed.
- Stamped into the passenger’s side inner fender panel, at the outside edge near shock tower. Visible only with the fender removed.
- Stamped on the original engine block, on passenger side beneath front exhaust port.
6 – Model year 1966
R – Assembly Plant (San Jose)
09 – Body Code (2-door fastback)
K – Engine Code (289/271hp)
123456 – Consecutive Ford production (each model year, each assembly plant begins production with the number 100001 and continues for each unit built. Shelby bound Mustangs were built in large groups with consecutive numbers but the groups were interspersed with standard Mustangs, Falcons, Comets, and Fairlanes during production.)
1966 GT 350 Interior Colors
All interiors were black.
* * * * * * * * * *
1966 GT350 Production Totals
|Standard GT 350 Fastbacks||1,370|
|GT 350 Hertz Fastbacks||1,000|
|GT 350 Drag Cars||4|
|GT 350 Convertibles||6|
|Total 1966 GT 350 cars produced||2,380|
(Source of information Shelby American World Registry, The Shelby American Auto Club, PO Box 788 Sharon, CT 06069. Get your own 1998 Version.)